Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How can I get my breast milk to start coming in?

I had my child 2 days ago. I have not leaked anything yet, my breast are not sore, they are not hard nor tender, and I have no idea how to get them to start filling with milk so my baby can start having breast milk. I plan on pumping and putting it in a bottle BUT I can't pump if there is nothing there. What do i do? Special diet that might help? I already know about the warm compresses and hot showers doing it but not working. HELP!!How can I get my breast milk to start coming in?
start pumping now.. even if nothing is coming out. i had the same problem no biggie.. just pump every 3 hrs for about 15 min. it will come!How can I get my breast milk to start coming in?
It takes between 2-5 days for bmilk to come in. Mine came in at 5 days postpartum.





You have to put your baby on your breasts several times a day. Once the baby keeps on sucking, the brain releases a message ';A baby needs food, we need to produce breastmilk!!';





If the baby doesn't suck, then the body thinks there is no baby.


Also, if you continue pumping only, the milk will not come in fast enough. A baby sucking away is more effective.
Keep putting your baby on, even if your baby is not getting anything it will help to stimulate the milk. Make sure you drink lots of fluids as well.
this is bad but i was told to drink a beer just one cause the hops or something in it is good fro breast milk and if you cant get milk you can go see your doctor they have some medicine to help bring in your milk supply
Massage your breasts while you are ina warm shower in a circular motion it makes your glands loosen up also try a moist warm wash rag over your breast and right after that try to make your baby latch on. Also as weird as it sounds hold your baby close to you and let him or her cry for a little bit it is very common for a womans body to react to your baby's cry, drink milk and lots of dairy products.
Nurse your baby, then nurse some more, then nurse some more!! Mine didn't come til day 5. Just keep going. For the first few weeks it'll feel like you're nursing ALL the time, this is normal and is to establish your supply. Good luck.
You won't have a well established milk supply until possibly 4-6 weeks AFTER having the baby. It's best, and been recommended to me to wait until then ATLEAST to start pumping or offering a bottle.





Breast milk is a supply and demand type thing. When there is more of a need for it, your body realizes hey, I need to produce more. Breast feeding can burn about 600 calories a day so it's best not to drastically alter your diet, if anything you should be drinking a lot more water and eating more.





You can massage your breasts from your chest down towards your areolas with your pointer knuckle. Sounds odd, but was told to me by the lactation assistant in my hospitals lactation support program.





If you really want to breast feed and find you are still having troubles you can contact your local WIC office and ask if they offer the breast feeding peer support group and where and when they meet. I personally did this and made many friends and breast feed for 22 months, happily, and had a great weaning experience as well.





Or, you could contact your local La Leche League and start going to LLL meetings. http://www.llli.org/





Good luck into your journey. It's a wonderful experience and the benefits for mother and baby are wonderful. Try to relax when feeding your baby.... being tense and stressed can affect your let down which could have to do with why you might feel like you are not getting any thing out.
I didnt get my milk till the forth or fifth day after i had my child. glad i wasnt breastfeeding! shouldnt you still be in the hospital? it comes naturaly hate to say it but your stuck with formula until it comes.
You can pump if nothing is there. Also your baby can nurse if nothing is there.





You need to let the baby nurse for 15 minutes on each side every 2-3 hours (keep trying to get him to latch on if he is having trouble / falling asleep for the full 30 minutes) followed by 15 minutes of pumping.





It usually takes 3-5 days for milk to come in, but you should have a couple tablespoons of colostrum coming out with the pump.





For my twins boys I had baby A on for 20m on left, then babyB on 20m on right, then I pumped for 15 minutes. After 3 days their weights were getting too low so I had to supplement with formula after they nursed. By day 7 I dropped the supplementing. And that is for TWINS!





My babes are now almost 6 weeks, and are gaining very nicely on only breastmilk. I have a scale to check their weights, and I feed them on a loose schedule (baby A 30m, babyB 30m other breast, in 2-3 hour cycles, which gives me 1-2 hours without actively feeding).





My breastmilk came in on day 5. This is perfectly normal. But by day 4 morning their weights were down the 10% max they like to see, so I began the supplementation with formula after I breastfed them. I dropped it by day 7 because babies are manipulative, and if they realize easier milk is coming from a bottle after the breast they get lazy at the breast, waiting on the easy stuff.





You can pump only, but you'll need to pump about 1.5-2x more than the number of times you feed them, since a pump gets out less milk than they do. So to feed them 10 times a day you may need to pump 20 times. And young infants need 8-12 feeds a day. You can do 8 feeds, but not at one pumping each. IT will likely require 12 pumps to do 8 feeds. Or you can give them the milk from 12 pumpings, but you won't be able to get away with the standard eight a day like someone who is breastfeeding.





On the otherhand, pumping only takes 15 minutes and feeding directly takes 30. You'll also be able to see how much you are making / giving if you pump. There are advantages to that.





I never leaked and provide well for twins. So don't worry about that.
Pump even though you aren't producing real milk yet. Pumping or nursing is what is going to make real lactation begin.





It's possible that it will take a few more days. For some women, it can take 5-6 days for their milk to come in. That's normal and nothing to worry about.
FIRST DONT PANIC THAT HELPS LOL


AND THEN JUST KEEP LATCHING YOUR CHILD ON THAT ALSO HELPS.


BUT WHAT HELPS THE MOST IS DRINKING LOTS AND LOTS OF FLUIDS!!!
Milk doesn't usually come until 3-5 days, so don't panic yet. You really should allow your baby to nurse directly, this will help stimulate your supply more so than a pump will.





ETA: You are not ';stuck with formula';. Colostrum is being produced right now and that's all your baby needs at this point. If you want to breastfeed then stay away from the formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment